Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ikea in 2 stories- Nov. 18th 2007

We went to IKEA on Friday and, let me tell you, not a good idea to go to a home furnishings superstore when you don't own a car. The day was slightly disastrous. We left our flat at 11:30am and didn't get home until just after 8pm. The journey to and from IKEA took an enjoyable 8 separate bus rides including several meltdowns by both of us along the way! The store is out in the middle of jolly nowhere and we didn't exactly calculate how much it would cost and how long it would take to get there. We got a few things at the store, but on the whole, decisively worthless. Now I remember why I never liked going to IKEA in the States either. I guess we've kinda put the day down as a "lesson learning experience." It's pretty hard to get things done without a car, something we definitely took for granted back home. Anyway, I'm sure we'll do the whole trip again at some point this year, but for now it's back to the drawing board. Sam might have a totally different take on this whole "adventure", which is ok, I just had to sound a voice for those who can't stand whole-day shopping marathons. -Peter

Well Pete's right, the day was disastrous, although in my opinion, it started out rather fun. It was clear sunny day, but colder that all get out. We hopped on the bus where the driver gave us a discount on our ticket. Score! It turns out, our driver was slightly off his rocker, but we found it entertaining as we sped through the country side towards our destination, a town called Milton Keynes. When we get there, we're told that Ikea isn't actually in this town, it’s the next town over. Weird, as its called "Ikea, Milton Keynes". Oh those silly Brits!
No worries, I thought, it can't be that far off. 2 crazy, winding bus rides later, we're dropped in the middle of nowhere but I see the glowing blue building just around the bend. I'm pumped. Not having a job, this has definitely been the highlight of my week, possibly of my month. I can't wait. As I'm inwardly getting giddy, especially after the adventure it took to get there, I realize my husband is not as pumped as I am! How can that be? We're at Ikea!!!!! I'm practically skipping through the showrooms and let's just say Pete's not feeling the love. We make it through fairly unharmed, although I will admit that place is freaking HUGE, and we were tired. Slowly throughout the maze of furnishings, stroganoff and Swedish fish, the wind in my sails is dying........rapidly. We're realizing how hard it will be to carry all the stuff we wanted to get all the way back home. UGH. We finally leave with a lamp, some pot holders, and a few other knick knacks. It's dark, freezing, and we don't remember where the bus stop is! We get lost, return to Ikea to consult a map, venture out again and find the stop, only to realize we have 45 min. to wait. I'm freezing, tired, and thoroughly disappointed in my 'journey to Mecca'. Needless to say, it's my turn for a melt down, and I start balling, right there at the bus stop in the middle of nowhere!
8 hours and 8 bus rides later we finally make it home, cold and hungry, vowing never to go to Ikea without a car again. –Sam

(Truth be told we got a really sweet lamp and we really like it, but that would make the story far less entertaining!)

No comments: