Monday, April 27, 2009

A slice of Saturday

Pete is in the thick of it. He's a writin' fool. A literary wordsmith. An academic composer. An erudite scribe of epic breadth. I used the thesaurus.....can you tell?

Anyway, Pete is working very hard on his dissertation, or as I have come to refer to it, his mistress of words. Pete doesn’t use a thesaurus, he's got all the words stored up in his thinker. He does however, use this.


As I sleepily descended the stairs on Saturday morning, I happened upon my husband already deep into his work. He was sipping his coffee, enjoying the morning sun that shines through our conservatory, and doing a little light reading. Did I say light? I mean totally honkin'. (That one was mine by the way, no thesaurus needed.)
This is intensely funny to me, because as you all know.................... I'm a normal person! If you ever need a giant German dictionary, look no further, just give the VDP's a call. We're here for you! For the last couple days, one of my greatest joys is walking around the house shouting words like: BUBIKOPF and SCHEITERHAUFEN which mean: "bobbed haircut", and "burned at the stake", respectively. It's beautiful language.

Also, because not much else is going on around here, I though we could all take a second and notice Peter's "design forward" curtains.
This is a big glass room that he sits in, and it gets a little sunny, which makes it hard for him to see the computer. Now, I don't know about you all, but when this happens to me, my next thought is always, tape a shirt over the window............ always. When the sun moves, feel free to hang a blanket as well. I'm calling these "man-curtains", and you can expect to see them on late night TV within the next few months. Only we'll be marketing them as "Mann Vorhänge", because everything is more fun in German. Especially if you shout it in a militant sort of way. Go ahead, try it!

Later that day, we took a break from all the 'deutsch' and went to the park to feed the birds our moldy bread. (Don't look at me that way, they like it.) I had a near death experience with a swan, but that's a story for another day.

4 comments:

lindsaybrooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lindsaybrooke said...

okay, I really did say that aloud, militantly in my head..... and yes, very fun.

(p.s. deleted my previous comment due to spelling error... can't have that as a former high school teacher!)

Andrew, Amy, Evelyn& Owen said...

I'm dying laughing. The man curtains have made an appearance or two at my house as well.

Anonymous said...

Again, lauging my **s off. Thanks Sam!