Saturday, November 1, 2008

Lord almighty, Sam gets a job!

It's a miracle!

After lots of waiting and more than a couple months of pinching pennies, I finally got a job! Mama gets a new pair of shoes! Let the over-priced martinis flow! Peter can stop walking around the house naked! That last one really has nothing to do with our budget, but seriously, it's getting old!

I'm working for a company called Holiday Lettings. That's crazy British speak for vacation rental homes. I work on the customer service team and deal with owners who want to advertise their posh villa in the Tuscan hills with our company. It requires a skilled juggling of finesse, sweet talk, soothing tones, and cat like balance. Thankfully, I possess all of these things. AND, I get my own twirly desk chair. Wizard!

I started on Monday. It's Wednesday evening, and I can safely and confidently say that I am exhausted! Plum tuckered out......KNACKERED! This job, while fun and highly social requires a lot more effort than my former position.

Being a "Peter-keeper" had its challenges, don't get me wrong, but the rules were lax, and I did love the dress code. Thankfully I have 5 different pairs of pj/sweatpants, so I was able to mix up my wardrobe and keep it fresh. This new fangled job requires pants, which are called trousers here.("pants" means your undies. hee hee. I have to wear those too.) It requires shoes, and even though it's an unspoken rule, I would feel only slightly uncomfortable heading into this new job bra-less. But alas, this new job actually pays money so it wins by a landslide (wink, wink). My bank account is singin' Dixie!
A few other perks:
  • I get a fancy bleep card that open all doors with a wave. VERY similar to a wand........
  • I have a squeezy stress ball on my desk, I've dropped it and had to crawl under my neighbors desk to retrieve it 3 times now. She was not amused.
  • There is unlimited tea and coffee......almost as exciting as unlimited juice!
  • Our offices are directly above a Starbucks........are you frickin' kidding me?!?!?!

So, while blogging about nonsensical topics, hilarious youtube finds, and the local waterfowl, I have a real job now. We will do our best not to neglect you all, but lets be honest with each other. We've reached that point in our relationship. I'm leaving you with Pete all day. Who knows what loopy doopy greco-roman related gobledygook he's gonna try and spit at you. May God be with us.

oh yeah, one last thing, since it IS Nov. 5th, and we both have the fever.....

Barack and Roll baby, Barack and roll!!!!!

6 comments:

Andrew, Amy, Evelyn& Owen said...

Yea for the new job! Sounds like fun. I'd try to stay out from under your co-worker's desk though...maybe she's not amused b/c she's not wearing "pants" :)

Anonymous said...

you said something about mamas getting a new pair of shoes? size 9 anything from Privo...

anne said...

Hooray! Awesome! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures at work. We won't forget about you, so don't forget about us (your readers). :)

lindsaybrooke said...

ahhh! sooo funny that pants are your undies, I am sure people at work would be fine if you purchased new pairs just for that occasion. I am enjoying reading all the different british speak - I'm lovin' it! And a Starbucks underneath your place of work? Hello, just a little reminder of home... of course, then there would be one across the street, down a block and down the hall too to really remind you of home. love ya Sam!

Anonymous said...

Not sure how I missed this post, but congrats on the new job. PLEASE tell me you have a cubicle? It sounds like a good fit for you, especially since Victoria's Secret isn't hiring their new models yet :) Ayla can't wait to meet you guys!

Js said...

Please don't let Petr stop walking around the house naked......Be free my friend, be free.