Friday, October 31, 2008

Not so much


It's 5 pm.
It's dark.
I was walking through town today and saw WAY too many girls already dressed in their trashiest versions of.... (enter cute character here). Ah college! How I do not miss thee.

Anywho, at about 5:45 we got out first little knock on the door. It was early so we knew the kids were gonna be young. We hear the knock, and Pete and I freeze.....then cringe.
We have no candy. I swear I looked at 3 different places today. In Britain they just don't stock halloween candy bags that will last you the next 3 years here like they do in the States.

Back to the knock.
We hesitate, then Peter, like the man that he is, heads to the door. I stay hidden in the living room, I can't take the pressure. Here is the exchange I overhear:

Door opens.
Kids and VERY enthusiastic dad: "TRICK OR TREAT!"

Very brave and manly Peter: "Hi guys, I'm SO sorry, but we don't have any candy"

What I imagine to be the most adorably dressed child ever: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Kind Dad: "Oh, that's ok kids, we'll keep going. Have a happy halloween!"

Peter, remaining manly, even in his humiliation: "You too, sorry!"
I hear him walk down the hallway, watch him as he enters the room, looks at me, and says "I feel like an idiot", and then walks out.
A few minutes later he declares that I'm answering the next knock............

So we put a sign on the door. I just can't take the disappointment. I'm a sucker for children in costume, my psyche couldn't take it. It's 6:13 and I'm dreading the next little knock.
This Halloween is terrible! Worse than when Mom made me wear a turtleneck under my super awesome Harem Girl costume. How am I supposed to be a belly dancer if my belly is covered by pink turtle neck?!?!?!

Oh no, there's a knock....... I'm dying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I'm cringing as I read this post. I tell you...small gated communities with only old retirees living there (except for the occasional young person such as myself) are the way to go. I didn't get a single knock...sweet!

Abbie

Anonymous said...

I REMEMBER THE TURTLE NECK AND HAREEM DRESS. FUNNY THAT WE LIVED IN SAN DIEGO WHEN I MADE YOU DRESS LIKE THAT!