We've been taking long walks everyday, and every Oxfordian knows the best place to walk is by the river. It's the best place to escape the constant babble of the city. Along with the river comes geese. The geese have doubled in numbers since we arrived last fall. They all had babies this spring, which are super cute when they're small and made of yellow fluff, but quickly become intimidating when they grow up. Here are some fun facts you might not have known about geese. Now we're suburb kids at heart, and have only ever encountered geese at the fair before now. So these fun facts apply to Oxford geese only because we aren't on a first name basis with other geese.
1. Geese are not shy. In fact they're kind of aggressive, especially when they see you have food.......or a camera.
2. Geese can run FAST
3. Geese double in size when they spread their wings......which makes the fast running scarier.
4. Geese hiss. Yup, bet this one really blew your minds, but it's true, they hiss. And it's terrifying. It's the kind of sound you might imagine you would hear right before you're about to die.....I think it comes just before your life starts to flash before you.
4. Geese hiss. Yup, bet this one really blew your minds, but it's true, they hiss. And it's terrifying. It's the kind of sound you might imagine you would hear right before you're about to die.....I think it comes just before your life starts to flash before you.
Although we know all this, we decided to live on the wild side and bring bread on our walk.
Here is Pete feeding the little monsters. He looks calm, but trust us, his heart is pounding.
Here is Pete feeding the little monsters. He looks calm, but trust us, his heart is pounding.
Soon the rest of the pack realized we had the goods. This is the last shot I could get off before we ran away.
I'm not kidding, we really did run away, that's how we know how fast geese can run.
The rest of the walk is fairly uneventful. We gave the rest of our bread to some very peaceful ducks. Here's ChristChurch college off in the distance.

It's fall in Oxford, and it's flippin' cold!
The rest of the walk is fairly uneventful. We gave the rest of our bread to some very peaceful ducks. Here's ChristChurch college off in the distance.
It's fall in Oxford, and it's flippin' cold!
A quick stop at the market for flowers to take to dinner tonight with our Norweigan friends.
And here we are, back in our cozy, if not a little musty smelling home, wondering how many more days we get before it starts pouring down rain..........aahhhh England.
2 comments:
Team VDP
So, I always read your blog. It usually makes me smile, or laugh on the inside. Sometimes it makes me miss you guys, and sometimes it makes me jealous. But today, it made me laugh hysterically. It could be because of the mood I'm in, but I really think it's that last picture of the goose lol
I love and miss you guys!!
Sam, you guys live in such a beautiful place. I love your commentary, it is a guaranteed laugh for me. Keep it up :)
Post a Comment