Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Just doin' some singin'

A funny thing happened last night. You know that blissful time right before sleep fully takes you? Your breathing has slowed, you’ve started letting your thoughts wander into weird areas that don’t necessarily connect, but you’re ok with it. You blissfully float into sleep. Or in my case, I blissfully dance into sleep. Not like flailing 80’s dancing, but a kind of flowing, loose-armed waltz, that twirls me right into dreamland. I suppose when you come across someone as nimble and light on their feet as I am, this is a natural phenomenon ……………. (wow, I took that one really far).

This is where I was last night. You’re completely unaware of the other person there with you. I take comfort in knowing that Pete does his own somersaulting version of sleep entry. Apparently last night, he was way ahead of me. Oh yeah, it’s important to know that we were spooning. I imagine some of you are going “awwwwwwww, that’s just precious all wrapped up in sugar!”, and some of you are thinking “gross, total over-share, get a room guys” But, those are the facts and I’m stickin’ to em……. and they’re important to the plot of the story. Besides, we had a room. Ha!

So there I am, waltzing, and there Pete is, right behind me, already well into some sort of amazing dream. All of a sudden, he starts singing. Remember the spooning? This means his mouth is very near my ear, and he wasn’t holdin’ back in his dream. This was a concert situation, so he really let it go. It was just one note, but because it did not coordinate with my waltz, I jumped about 50 feet throwing us both into confusion and bafflement.

“Oh, sorry hun, I was just singing in my dream.” After we changed the sheets because I had soiled myself from fear (not really), I asked him what he was singing.
“Joni Mitchell”, he says.

I’m happy to report that round two of sleep went much more smoothly, of course after we had a hearty laugh about round one. Sleep is almost my favorite time of day!

p.s. I heart her.

4 comments:

Andrew, Amy, Evelyn& Owen said...

That is hilarious. Happy slug hunting too...that stinks.

lindsaybrooke said...

oh my word! I love having someone to go to bed with.. (I thought of every way to word that, and there is just no getting around the inuendo) it is fascinating! anyway, Drew is DEFINITELY a sleep talker! He is almost guaranteed to laugh in his sleep at least every other night and then on top of that he apparently plays games in his dreams... one time, he was laughing out loud and then said, "Oh.. well, guess I'll be the red one then!" Just the other night he said something about "thighs" and then quickly almost tongue twister like said, "this thick this thick this thick" it was weird. love you! I always love reading your posts :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that photo!!!! I've never seen it. It's even a dreamy photo. and I love that Pete was singing Joni!!!!
Makes me happy. Miss you guys.

Js said...

bahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I laughed, I cried....that was the best post of your life. And for the record...Pete usually sings Bel Biv Devo in my ear before he fades off into dream land.