
He’s the second half of “SamnPete”. He’s an integral cog in the machinery that is Team VDP. He’s also an excellent tour guide!
We went to Rome this past weekend with our Norwegian friends Linda and Stefan. They’re great, you all should meet them. Sometimes we like to pretend that they’re actual vikings….but we don’t tell them this. They are both PhD students. Peter and Stefan just totally get each other, and Linda is wonderfully creative and generous. We both dream (Linda and I) of starting some sort of wacky artsy business that is wildly successful. She just might do it someday. Here they are, don't they look nice?


Since Peter's entire goal in life is to travel through time, live in, and eventually rule Ancient Rome, he was pretty handy to have around. It turns out this whole Oxford thing has started to demonstrate it's benefits. Here he is, just getting warmed up in the Roman forum.
Another action shot in the forum. It's a totally amazing place but very confusing because those three columns used to be some big significant building. And there are about 60 of those still standing, and about 600 just lying around. It helps to have someone who knows what we're looking at. Here, he's really starting to hit his groove, notice the hand gestures......


Here he is explaining the secrets of the universe to Stefan in the middle of the Colosseum. Stefan is impressed. You can tell.

Oh Lord. This was the day it all came together for him. Here he is, explaining the magic and wonder of this Roman sarcophagus. He's been studying this thing for the past two years, to date I've seen the pictures, I've heard the stories. It's for real man. It's like an obsession. There we were, walking through the Vatican Museums, and all of sudden, there it was, just hangin' out in between other interesting things....next to a gift shop kiosk. But this was quite alright for Peter. Everyone else was walking by, following the various ladies with their tour-guide flags and head sets. (I'm not gonna lie, I wanted a head set and flag of my own). Peter peed himself when he first saw it. I was embarrassed.
Luckily Linda and Stefan were too enraptured by his mad skills to notice the pee stain. I decided not to point it out.........
The moral of this story is that we had a great time in Rome, and it really pays to go with someone who knows what they're talkin' about. In all seriousness, I am fully impressed with my husband. He's like a rock star, only with books.
The second moral of the story is, we tried roasted chestnuts for the first time ever....

The second moral of the story is, we tried roasted chestnuts for the first time ever....

They were not so good.
Amen, and goodbye forever.
Actually, not forever. We'll try and post some more photos of our trip. But we won't send an email. That way we aren't being "that guy" that makes you sit and watch their slide show that lasts nine hours with no bathroom breaks. You can pop in at your leisure, or skip it all together. Your choice.



3 comments:
Love the pics and the stories that go with. Sam, impressive...you using the word, "sarcophagus"...as if it is just an everyday topic in your house. This just shows that you are actually smarter because of Pete. Can't wait to see more.
Wow! Impressive! I think Oxford is paying off for you both. I would definitely need a tour guide like Pete if/when I ever go. Either that or I'd have to do A LOT of studying. It's been a while since I took a humanities class.
I want to go back and have Peter as our guide. You again, Sam, are cracking me up with your posts. LOL, So glad that Pete's studies hae been put to good use. If the whole prof thing falls through he can always guide tourists!!!
Post a Comment